October 2013 Financial Goals
I am so grateful that the weather has finally decided to cool down. I also think I am one of the very few people who look forward to payday because it means I get to pay my bills and put my budget/plan to work. Now that I’m back to budgeting on a monthly basis, it is reassuring to know exactly how I am going to use my paycheck, and that I actually gave it thought and consideration. I think financial maintenance is all about knowing your current status (knowing exactly how much you take home, knowing your spending habits, knowing what your goals are- if they exist, and knowing what your commitments are, etc.). Self awareness really is so important when keeping a grip on your financial obligations. For this month, my budget may look a little different from it did in the past, and that is because I added new line items and am beginning to pay back student loans. I highlighted my debt in light blue. In the next month or two, I’ll begin to save for two major trips I’m taking next year. One, is a EuroTrip that I will hopefully go on with my sisters, the other is for a bachelorette Weekend in L.A. I’ve never been to the West Coast (shame, I know), so I’ll be looking to fly that way a little before the festivities start to explore on my own.
Other than that, here is my October Financial Budget:
- Dental Costs– I’m getting braces! I decided to just go for it. My initial down payment will be $600, then I will contribute $125 a month throughout the course of treatment.
- Cell Phone- seriously, I pay wayyy too much for a cell phone. Must do something about it. I’m thinking of going the prepaid route. Has anyone ever used a prepaid plan?
- Transportation- Minimal allocation for transportation because I typically bike to work and around the city!
- Groceries– You may look at the $35 and say “How??”. I am in an Eat My Kitchen challenge. Essentially, I am going to shop my cabinets (I have so much dried bulk food…rice, beans, peas, etc). I’ll only go to the farmers market to get veggies.
- $50 into Emergency Fund- I typically allocate much more, but this month I am getting braces so I decided to save less.
- Secure one wholesale contract for my venture, Uriomma Delicately Smooth
- Work out 4-5x/week.
- Keep credit card utilization at 10-15%- Getting the right amount of “balance” to show on my credit card statement has been a game for the last few months. I think I finally got it. I’ll report on it once I receive my September card statement.
- Make weekly food plan. I eat based on what I’m feeling at the moment, but having an outline will help me stay on target when deciding what I want to eat. Using a meal plan when shopping means I can only choose from what I have available rather than going to the store for ingredients for a certain craving.
- Buy Plane Ticket for Thanksgiving
- Read one book for fun
Ongoing 2013 Annual Goals:
- No buying lunch, snacks or coffee during the work week
- No buying clothing, shoes or accessories for the remainder of the year. This includes thrift stores as well!
- Try to make a difference in the life of one person. A significant difference